In this data driven world there is an exponential growth of Technology. The question arises, how to keep up with this rapid change? It’s not optional or easy. The answer to this is “Books”. Therefore it is said that, “The most technologically efficient machine that man has ever invented is the Book”. But there are tons of books, which one to focus on? Let us look at our Top 5 picks on Technology books everyone should read:-
1. Hit Refresh: The Quest to rediscover Microsoft’s soul and imagine a better Future
Author: Satya Nadella
Co- Authors: Jill Tracie Nichols and Greg Shaw
- HitRefresh was one among, The New York Times Bestsellers. The book is all about the journey of the author Satya Nadella. He is the Chief Executive Officer of the technology pioneer Microsoft. The book delivers the perceptive growth of Microsoft under the leadership of Satya Nadella. It starts with the author’s early life, the ups and downs faced by him and his life at Microsoft before he became the CEO. The book speaks about how Microsoft is undergoing a rapid transformation under his leadership. Satya Nadella also highlights how modern technologies such as Mixed Reality, Artificial Intelligence and Quantum Computing will change our lives. The CEO quotes, “Our industry doesn’t respect tradition-it only respects innovation and Hit Refresh is all about it. The author explains how he transformed the work culture of the corporate giant Microsoft. The nucleus of the book is about “Empathy”. Satya tells, “Ideas excite me and Empathy grounds and centers me”. Hit Refresh will also take you on a tour of the CEO’s childhood in India and his love for cricket.
2. Designed for Digital: How to Architect Your Business for Sustained Success
Authors: Jeanne W. Ross, Cynthia M. Beath and Martin Mocker
- Designed for Digital reflects how big and old organizations have redesigned themselves for digital success. The book provides detailed case studies of giant MNC’s such as USAA, LEGO, PHILIPS, AMAZON etc as an example. Technology is rapidly changing so are the customer’s needs. Hence, companies that are agile will only survive! Most renowned companies use digital technologies such as IOT, Cloud, Mobile Apps, AI etc. But only few of them are digitally designed. This book is an essential guide to re-transform any organization for digital success. The authors replicate how digital design of business is a critical responsibility. According to this book the 5 building blocks of Digital Business Success are:
- Shared customer insights.
- Operational Backbone.
- Digital Backbone.
- Accountability Framework.
- External Developer Platform.
3. The Future Is Faster Than You Think: How Converging Technologies Are Transforming Business, Industries, and Our Lives
Authors: Peter H. Diamandis and Steven Kotler
- The duo authors in their previous book “Abundance” had addressed the solutions to grand problems such as poverty, energy etc. Now they arrived with “The Future is Faster Than You Think”. This book is a design of how the interference of technology will change our lives in the next decade. It reveals the impact of Technology on our daily lives as well as the society. The book reflects how AI, Virtual Reality, Robotics, Blockchain, 3-D Printing, etc will affect the Industrial revolution of coming decade. It also reflects these converging Technologies will change the way we raise our children. And the way we take care of our planet. In this book Diamandis and Kotler unleash how bit by bit the rapid transformation of technology is changing the planet.
4. How to speak machine: Computational thinking for the rest of us
Author: John Maeda
- The author John Maeda is a graphic designer, educator and computer scientist. For more than a decade he has worked to join technology with education and art. In, How to speak machine, John provides detailed description of how computers work and also the mechanism of machines in the coming future. How to speak machine, will serve you with how a tireless algorithm works. It describes what happens when program’s size, speed, and tireless algorithm are synchronized. This synchronization transforms and trains the machine itself. These transformations will lead to unpredictable outcomes and sometimes dangerous as well. The skeleton of the book speaks of how digital consciousness feels like. The Author being nostalgic shares his nuances with the computers in early days. This book is a must read for business leaders, product designers, entrepreneurs etc.
5. The Four: The Hidden DNA of AMAZON, APPLE, FACEBOOK AND GOOGLE
Author: Scott Galloway
- The Four is New York Times bestseller by the intuitive Scott Galloway. Amazon, Apple, Facebook, and Google are the four leading companies of the world. Above all that has been written about them since last two decades, Scott came up with the most powerful and wobbling insights. Rather than broadcasting misconceptions, the author asks 3 fundamental questions:-
- How did the Four infiltrate our lives so completely that they’re almost impossible to avoid?
- Why does the stock market forgive them for sins that would destroy other firms?
- And as they race to become the world’s first trillion-dollar company, can anyone challenge them?
Scott Galloway is the world’s most acknowledged business professor. Therefore, the book becomes eye-catching and less detailed but focused. Author interprets the hidden strategies of The Four which are overshadowed by their glass windows. Scott quotes, “Whether you want to compete with them, do business with them, or simply live in the world they dominate, you need to understand the Four”.
As quoted by CICERO, “A room without books is like a body without soul”. Reading good books will set you apart from the ordinary.
If you feel the list is incomplete please mention your suggestions in the comments. Stay tuned for our next Top 5 books for technology that everyone should read. Until then, you could have a look at, “Top 5 Future Technologies That Will Change Our World”.